Life Support

What is life support?

If you or someone in your property uses one of the below life support equipment, you may be eligible for protection under the life support energy regulations.

This means your address is registered with your local network and they will advise you in advance of any electricity outages so you can plan accordingly.

It also means in the event of a power outage your property will be on the priority list for reconnection of supply.

To be fully registered and receive all the protections provided to customers requiring life support equipment at their premises, complete the medical confirmation form and send it to us by email or post.

How to register

  1. Download the medical confirmation form
  2. Make sure you fill in the necessary details and sign the customer confirmation.
  3. Take the form to your medical practitioner to complete and sign the medical practitioner confirmation in the form.

If you live outside Victoria a medical certificate can count as medical confirmation provided that:

  1. it’s signed and dated by a medical practitioner
  2. and confirms that the person requires life support equipment, and the type of equipment required.

If your registered address is outside Victoria and you have an existing ‘Medical Confirmation Form’ dated and signed by a medical practitioner, you can send us that form instead of providing us with a new one. The form should meet the following requirements:

  1. The Medical Confirmation Form is signed and dated by a medical practitioner, within the past 4 years; and
  2. The form is legible (the print is readable).
  3. The form certifies that you or someone at your current address requires life support equipment and specifies the equipment type If you submitted a Medical Confirmation form to your previous retailer, you are able to request a copy from them, if you left that retailer less than 110 business days ago.
  4. Return the complete and signed form back to us, either by emailing to or post it to Energy Locals, 2/11 Newton Street, Cremorne, VIC 3121.
  5. We’ll then confirm receipt of your medical confirmation and notify the distributor.

What is classed as life support equipment?

Additional for Victoria only:

If you have any questions about the equipment you or someone in your home uses and whether it is life support equipment, please talk to your doctor.

What are your rights and entitlements as a customer registered for life support?

It’s important your distributor and retailer know so we can do our best to keep your property on electricity supply.

Once registered, this means that you are given additional notice (4 days notice) of any planned power outages and that your property is treated as priority for reconnection if and when there are any outages.

What to do if the power goes out?

Your power can go out without warning. It is important that you have a plan if this happens. Make note of:

Am I eligible for Life Support concessions?

In some states there are concessions and rebates for customers with Life Support Equipment. Visit Concessions to see what you may qualify for and download the relevant forms.

When does deregistration of Life Support take place?

There are situations that result in deregistration of life support at your premise:

If we don’t hear from you

If we haven’t received the completed Medical confirmation Form within the stipulated timeframe, and haven’t heard from you, we will notify the distributor to de-register your premises for life support. Once the site is de-registered you will not receive the protections provided for customers with life support under the regulations. We will actively try to contact you prior to de-registration, using the telephone number and email address provided by you at the time you set up your customer account with us.

If you leave Energy Locals

If you’ve registered your requirement for Life Support Equipment with us, your registration will cease and you’ll need to apply to have your Life Support Equipment registered with your new retailer. If you’ve registered with your distributor, they’ll let your new retailer know.

If you move house

Your registration is specific to your current address, if you move to a new house you’ll need contact us on 1300 855 860 or to re-apply to have your Life Support Equipment registered at your new address.

If you no longer need life support registered at your address

Contact us on 1300 855 860 or and we will update your account. We’ll send you a confirmation letter to confirm when the Life Support registration is being de-registered from your account.

Important contacts

See emergency contact number for each distributor.

NSW Government Service Line – 13 77 88
QLD Government Service Line – 13 74 68
VIC Government Service Line – 1300 650 172
ACT Government Service Line – 13 14 93
SA Government Service Line – 1800 307 758
TAS Government Service Line – 1800 001 388

Interpreter services

Servicio Interpreti
servicio de interpretaci
Dịch vụ phiên dịch
خدمات الترجمة الشفوية
διερμηνέα υπηρεσίες

Call 13 14 50